The Temple - a brief history
The Temple was built in 1792 by Alderman Foss
of Richmond for T J Anderson of Swinithwaite Hall, probably as a
belvedere or summerhouse, and was used as an observatory for the ladies of the local gentry
to watch the progress of hunts and to take in the fine views of the
surrounding area. It is a two-storied domed building octagonal in
It's name originates from
the nearby Temple Farm, former site of an 11th century preceptory of
the Knights Templar Order. On the top of a hill to the south of the
Temple can be found the remains of a Templars' Chapel.
The ground floor has a doorway on it's east side and a sash window
with date stone on it's north side. The second floor is a smaller
octagon permitting a partly-balustered parapet. On the parapet above
the ground floor entrance is a carving of a hunting dog. This,
together with a decoration of a bow and quiver which formerly adorned
the first floor chimney piece, suggests that it may have also been
used as a hunting lodge in the past.
In the surrounding wood
are the remains of an informal pleasure garden with a mixture of
shrubs and remnant specimen trees, part of this garden has been
uncovered to restore the original views and re-create an c18th feel.